Ten Ways to Green Your Bathroom
No Chemicals Needed to Keep Your Bath Looking Great
1. Spray the shower with a natural mold-fighting solution after each use: This preventative measure can eliminate the need for toxic chemical mold-killers in the future– a few spritzes now will save a whole lot of scrubbing/re-grouting later. Fill a spray bottle with one of these suggested solutions, and keep it in the shower:
2. Use baking soda as a tub and sink scrubber: The abrasive qualities are similar to that of “bathroom scrubbers” but without the unnecessary toxic chemical additions so often found in those products:
3. Open a window, crack a door, or install an exhaust fan: By implementing a venting strategy in this most humid of rooms, you’ll remove the dampness which is needed for the growth of mold. No mold, no need to use chemicals to clean the mold.
4. Clean mirrors with vinegar: Fill a spray bottle with a solution of half white vinegar + half water, and you’ll have sparkling mirrors with no need for eerie blue cleansers. If you have streaks after using this combo, add up to 1/2 tsp of liquid dishsoap to the bottle and try again (the streaks are most likely caused by your previous chemical-laden glass cleaner). And if you use old newspapers to wipe the mirror, you’ll have a lint-free shine with a no-impact paper use…don’t forget to recycle!
5. Switch to recycled toilet paper: This simple choice has immense implications, as old-growth trees are still being cut down in order to make single-use disposable paper products, such as toilet paper and paper towels. Switching to recycled TP is the smartest and easiest choice you can make.
6. Reduce your bathroom water consumption:
7. Use an environmentally friendly shower curtain: When it’s time for a new curtain, don’t buy a new PVC one – opt for a green one instead:
8. Install a low-flow showerhead: From an inexpensive model at your local hardware store to much more expensive super-fancy luxurious models, low-flow showerheads can cut your water consumption in half while still getting you squeaky clean.
9. Green your personal care:
10. Install a compact fluorescent light bulb!Source – TinyChoices.com